This week in women’s sports

Cross Country:

Santa Clara Bronco Invitational

NCAA Pre-Nationals

The Aggies sent freshman Elizabeth Greid and sophomore Kazune Shidara to the SCU Bronco Invitational. They finished in 45th and 64th place respectively.

Meanwhile, UC Davis struggled in the NCAA Pre-Nationals and only junior Christine Hoffmann finished inside of the top-150 individually. Hoffmann finished in 21:10 minutes for 17th place individually and has now led the Aggies in every race that she has competed in.

Field Hockey (4-10):

UC Davis @ University of Pacific

On Oct. 12, the Aggies faced University of Pacific and won 2-1 at home. The rematch game on Oct. 18 seemed to be going in the same direction as UC Davis led 2-1 with only a few minutes to go. Instead, the UoP Tigers scored with 2:59 seconds left, took the game into overtime and saw the game-winner splash into the net six minutes into the overtime period.

UC Davis outshot their opponent 14-10 but could not capitalize on their numerous opportunities. Sophomores Augusta Singh and Kayla Wigney scored the two UC Davis goals.

Golf:

Stanford Intercollegiate

Facing off in their last tournament of the fall season, the Aggies finished in 13th place out of a 17-team field, including six other teams in the national top 20. Sophomore Paige Lee and junior Andrea Wong paced the team on the final day of play, shooting a 2-under 69 and par-71, respectively.

Lee finished the tournament in 24th place individually while Wong ended in 43rd place. No other Aggies finished inside of the top 55. UC Davis will not play again until February 2015.

sp_thisweekinsportswomen_Lin2

Soccer (4-10-3):

UC Davis @ CSU Northridge

UC Davis @ Long Beach State

After a strong stretch that saw the Aggies tie three and win one game, UC Davis has lost their two games on Oct. 16 and 19. The first, an away game against CSU Northridge, started slowly before seeing the Matadors blow open the game with a three pointer during the second half. The Aggies took seven shots but missed all of them, whereas Northridge was able to successfully counter-attack against a scrambling UC Davis squad on the offensive.

While the second game of the week against Long Beach State was more manageable, the Aggies were still unable to finish possessions with goals. UC Davis was able to hold the 49ers to two shots in the entirety of the second half but could not overcome the one goal deficit that they faced at halftime.

Swimming & Diving:

UC Davis vs. San Jose State (S/D)

UC Davis @ University of Pacific (S)

In their first meet of the season, the Aggies fell to the visiting Spartans by a score of 172-128. UC Davis was still able to score wins in several events. Senior Samantha Shellem won the 200 meter freestyle, junior Hailey Ferko finished in first in the 100 meter breaststroke and freshman Courtney Schultz won the 50 meter freestyle with a time of 23.79 seconds. Meanwhile, sophomore Hilvy Cheung finished first in both the 100 and 200 meter butterfly. The diving team also had a strong showing, taking 2nd through 6th-place.

Cheung continued to dominate against Pacific, winning the 200-meter butterfly and individual medley while also taking part in two winning relays. Sophomore Elise Roberts also scored two victories, winning the 200-meter breaststroke and a relay. This dual-match was not scored.

Volleyball (9-10):

UC Davis @ Cal State Fullerton

UC Davis @ UC Irvine

After splitting the first four sets of their match against Cal State Fullerton, the Aggies scored a hard-fought victory with a 15-13 score in the last set. UC Davis saw a phenomenal performance from junior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres who finished with a career high of 25 kills and 20 digs. The match ran for just under two and a half hours and extended a season-high four game win streak.

Unfortunately for the Aggies, that winning streak quickly ended at the hands of the UC Irvine Anteaters who bested UC Davis in straight sets. The first two sets were extremely close, finishing with scores of 28-26 and 26-24, but the Aggies were unable to close out either for a win. The last set, a 25-16 loss, saw the Anteaters dominate throughout.

After two more away games, the Aggies will return home for six out of their last seven regular season games.

Photos by Katie Lin