This week in women’s sports

Basketball (1-2):

UC Davis @ Sac. State (W, 90-82)

UC Davis vs. Saint Mary’s (L, 57-55)

In the same week that UC Davis football faced off in the Causeway Classic, the women’s basketball team headed to Sacramento to take on Sac State. The Aggies came back with a victory, defeating their rival 90-82. Senior forward Sydnee Fipps played a strong game, finishing with 26 points, four rebounds and three steals. Junior forward Alyson Doherty, a key kog moving forward, made her season preview after struggling with a knee injury from last season.

The Aggies returned to their home-court on Nov. 22 to face a feisty Saint Mary’s squad. UC Davis held a slight lead through much of the game, but fell by two after a Saint Mary’s jump shot fell through the net with just 1.8 seconds left. The Aggies shot 44 percent from the field, compared to the Gaels 39.6 percent, but allowed their opponent to pick up 15 offensive rebounds.

The basketball team will have their next three games at home before embarking on a five game road trip.

Swimming & Diving:

Wildcat Diving Invitational

The UC Davis diving team took a trip to University of Arizona to take part in the Wildcat Diving Invitational. On the first day, the Aggies made their mark as junior Hannah Tears and sophomore Serena Yee tied for fourth in the 3-meter Consolation Finals.

Yee continued to impress, finishing fourth in the 1-meter Consolation Finals. Junior Lucy LaFranchise led the Aggies, finishing third. On the last day, multiple Aggies finished in the top-15 in Platform Diving. LaFranchise led the Aggies with a seventh place finish, junior Audrey Deneffe finished eighth, while Tears and freshman Angelina Proshak finished in 11th and 13th place respectively.

The diving team will now have the entire month of December off, while the swimming team will visit Texas for the Texas Invitational on Dec. 4.

Volleyball (15-13):

UC Davis vs. No. 18 Long Beach State (L, 3-0)

UC Davis vs. CSU Northridge (L, 3-0)

After a strong five-game win streak, the Aggies have lost their last two matches. No. 18 Long Beach State came to the Pavilion on Nov. 20, defeating UC Davis in straight sets, 25-17, 25-23, 25-19. Junior Holland Seymour, who received her first starting nod, tied a career high with 13 kills. The Aggies led the first set briefly, before Long Beach scored 14 out of the last 17 points. From there, the tone had been set and UC Davis struggled to remain competitive.

The Aggies came into their Senior Night game against CSU Northridge hoping to put together a better match than their loss to Long Beach State. Instead, UC Davis was once again swept with scores 25-14, 25-19, 25-23.

The night honored five seniors who will be leaving the team after their last game on Nov. 29 at Hawai’i.

Graphic by Andrew Li