Women’s volleyball preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara; Cal Poly

Records: Aggies, 10-12 (2-7); Gauchos, 9-11 (5-4); Mustangs 13-7 (8-1)

Where: The Pavilion

When: Today at 7 p.m.; Saturday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: Junior setter Carson Lowden has paced the UC Davis women’s volleyball team with 622 assists on the year, which is good for seventh in the Big West Conference.

In her first season as a starter for the Aggies, the Yuba City, Calif. native has quietly led the club with 8.64 assists per game. She’s also chipped in with 13 aces and 40 kills.

Did you know? If history is any indication of how the Aggies will fare this weekend, it could be as stormy as the Halloween weather.

UC Santa Barbara is 10-0 all-time against UC Davis, recording its most recent victory in an Oct. 4 sweep at the Thunderdome.

Cal Poly is 7-1 all-time against the Aggies, having won each of the past seven matchups.

Preview: After being swept at Long Beach State, the Aggies have returned to Davis with their focus on the practice floor.

“Our players have approached practice with a good focus over the last few days,” head coach Jamie Holmes said. “They’ve been pushing each other and trying to get better at some things.

“Last week’s match was a wake-up call that practice is important. Putting your blue shirts on and getting to work is important. They have goals that they want to accomplish, which is exciting. They look at this upcoming weekend as a chance to get a ‘W,’ and they’re approaching the week of practice with that in mind.”

It won’t be easy for the Aggies, as they square off against the heavy-hitting Gauchos for the first of two tough conference games this weekend on Halloween night.

The Gauchos are led by senior libero Leigh Stephenson, whose average of 3.99 digs per game is good for third in the conference. Defensively, middle blocker Kasey Kipp leads her team with 82 blocks – only 10 behind the conference leader.

UC Davis’ other weekend opponent, Cal Poly, sits in first place in the Big West. The Mustangs have won eight of their past nine.

Senior outside hitter Renee Ibekwe is averaging 3.85 kills per game for the Aggies.

Matt Miller