Male Athlete of the Quarter

The UC Davis men’s soccer team held high expectations coming into the 2008 season after qualifying for the school’s first-ever NCAA Division I Tournament appearance a year earlier.

As the final seconds ticked off the clock in Ann Arbor, Mich. in UC Davis2-1 loss to No. 13 Michigan in the second round of the tournament, the Aggiesseason came to a close with much to be proud of.

After falling to California by way of a golden goal in the first round of last year’s tournament, UC Davis earned its first-ever home playoff match and home playoff victory this season, handling Denver with ease, 4-0.

Senior forward Quincy Amarikwa was at the center of these historical accomplishments.

“He is such an important part of our team,head coach Dwayne Shaffer said.If he doesn’t score, he wreaks havoc for the other team. They try to slow him down, but he keeps on going.

A native of Bakersfield, Calif., Amarikwa led a competitive Big West Conference with a career-high 15 goals, five of which came in game-winning fashion.

For his efforts, the speedy 5-foot-9, 160-pounder was named First-Team All-Big West and the conference’s Offensive Player of the Year. He also became the first Aggie ever to earn National Player of the Week honors on Oct. 13.

Now, it’s The California Aggie’s turn to send some accolades Amarikwa’s way, as it proudly names him its 2008 Fall Male Athlete of the Quarter.

“He works hard on the field and is dangerous with the ball on his feet,said Shaffer.He is a great soccer player with great athleticism. He is the most dangerous striker on the West Coast.