Onyewuenyi, Williams break own school records

Highlighted by two new school records, the Aggies had a successful weekend as they split their squad between the Mt. SAC Relays and the Bryan Clay Invitational.

SaturdayMt. SAC Relays

Junior Chid Onyewuenyi made short work of the school record in the hammer, as her throw of 56.84m surpassed her record throw from Mar. 21. Onyewuenyi narrowly won the collegiate section of the event by 0.15m.

Honestly, I was not expecting another school record or the win,Onyewuenyi said. “[Throws coach Tim] Fua had given us the previous week off from hammer, and we only had one day to practice it this week. It was a complete surprise that I was able to get a majority of the kinks out.

Senior Sirena Williams also broke a school record, running 13.83 to win the collegiate section of the 100m hurdles.

“The race played out very well,Williams said.It’s actually the first race I got out of the blocks, so I was in the race from hurdle one instead of playing catch-up the entire race. I was literally shaking insetready for the gun to fire.

The Aggies also had a trio of 1,500m runners in seniors Kim Conley and Lorin Scott and junior Jenna Gailey. Competing in the Olympic Development section of the event, Conley clocked 4:22.63 to take third.

Kimmy ran a really good race for the race she was in,coach Deanne Vochatzer said.It was a big hodgepodge, with 21 or so people in the race. No one wanted to take the lead, and she got stuck in lane three, but it was good for her to get that experience.

Scott placed 10th in the collegiate section of the event in 4:28.34. Gailey was 53rd with a time of 4:42.33.

SaturdayBryan Clay Invitational

The Aggies sent a large contingent of sprinters, hurdlers and field eventers to the new Bryan Clay Invitational, which is named after the 2008 Olympic champion in the decathlon.

Fittingly for a meet named after a multi-eventer, UC Davis heptathlete Anikia Jackson put forth a very strong showing. She competed in the 100m hurdles, long jump, javelin throw and 4x100m relay.

“I think a highlight of the meet was the long jump with Anikia jumping 5.60m,assistant coach Byron Talley said.And we had Stephanie Eckels right behind at 5.55m. Then Anikia threw 39.37m in the javelin, which was a good mark for her.

That mark in the javelin placed her fifth in the meet and moved her to No. 9 all-time at UC Davis.

The one Aggie win of the meet came in the pole vault, where junior Tessa Fraser and freshman Lauren Radke took the top two spots.

A final highlight came with the return of oft-injured senior Seante Baker.

Seante ran 56.97 in the 400m and 25.34 in the 200m,Talley said.This is her first traveling meet in quite a while, so that was quite an accomplishment for her, especially dropping the 56 in the 400m.

ALEX WOLF-ROOT can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.