Plan to consolidate administration revealed

Chancellor Linda Katehi’s vision for shared service centers may result in annual savings of $9 to 13 million.

At a town hall meeting on Monday, Katehi and other UC Davis officials presented the plan, which would eliminate between 136 and 194 employee positions in favor of streamlining business operations.

“It was not my choice to cut … that’s where we are, however,” Katehi said.

The UC Davis budget faced a shortfall of $228 million last year and the school cut 1,100 positions, Katehi said.

The consolidation will shift financial, human resources and information technology operations from six divisions into a shared service center. Staff in those divisions – administrative and resource management, information and education technology, offices of the chancellor and provost, student affairs, university relations and the office of research – will be cut from 650 full-time positions to between 456 and 514 positions by summer 2013.

Between now and 2015-16, the university estimates a total savings of $39.4 million, plus the estimated $9 to 13 million annually afterward. Savings will be allocated toward academic programs, student services, high priority administrative initiatives and staff development and training.

Karen Hull, associate vice chancellor for human resources, said Katehi specifically demanded for some savings to be allocated for staff development and training.

“She is highly committed to the development and growth of our staff,” Hull said.

Hull will act as chair of an upcoming governance committee, which will provide oversight for the consolidation. The committee will also include the vice chancellor or vice provost and one staff member from each of the six divisions.

In addition to beginning the governance committee, the university plans to hire a shared services program manager and develop human resources programs to support staff during transitions.

Vice Chancellor John Meyer encouraged staff to get involved in the shared service process and pledged to be transparent as the project progresses. The project’s strategy allows for flexibility as well.

Essentially, the consolidation will standardize business services, redesigning and streamlining operations and clarifying policies. The project will also implement technology in order to be as efficient and effective as possible, Hull said.

The university will provide training programs to help employees migrate to the shared service center and work through transitions, Hull said. The Academic and Staff Assistance Program will also aim to provide personal support.

JANELLE BITKER can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.