Editorial: KDVS fundraiser

UC Davis freeform radio station KDVS will hold its annual fundraiser week from Monday to Sunday.

KDVS has been a provider of student jobs and a media outlet for the voices of community members for nearly half a century. Over time, and with a gradually decreasing subsidy from ASUCD, its existence has become more and more dependent upon donations. As a result, KDVS deserves your support.

The station looks to gain a total of $60,000 this year to maintain its services and quality programming.

“We need this money to keep doing what we’re doing, to keep expanding and to keep providing an outlet for the community,” said KDVS general manager Neil Ruud, “because the average person doesn’t really have much of a voice anymore in the media.”

In January, another northern California campus radio station, KUSF 90.3 FM of University of San Francisco, was re-designated as internet-only. This is alarming for any campus radio station unable to raise the necessary funds to stay on the airwaves.

With the fundraiser, KDVS maintains its individuality and quirky sense of humor that permeate the walls of its studios through offbeat posters and wacky bumper stickers. Date auctions, hand-made crafts and the opportunity to choose embarrassing facial hair for on-air personalities are all being offered as premiums.

Additionally, with a contribution of $15 or more, donors can receive other thank-you prizes, including gift certificates, books, t-shirts and the opportunity to host an hour of KDVS programming. According to Ruud, KDVS will take anything it can get.

The university radio station is a non-profit organization that sets our campus apart. They embrace the basic principles of freedom of thought and speech and we believe it is important to show support.

Donations are tax-deductible and can be made by calling 754-KDVS, by logging on to fundraiser.kdvs.org or by paying in person in Lower Freeborn Hall.