Thursday, October 17, 2024

Guest Opinion: UC Davis’ response to bin Laden.

I am a fan of patriotism, but never at the expense of basic human decency. 

Today, I witnessed many responses to the death of Osama bin Laden by friends and fellow Aggies that frankly disgust me. When I arrived at my apartment this evening, I was promptly informed by my roommate of this breaking news. Unfortunately, the standard 21st century response to such a watershed event in history is to immediately post the news as your Facebook status. I expected a wave of bin Laden related updates, but what I did not expect was to be met with such decidedly joyous responses which were astutely described by a fellow UC Davis graduate as “bloodthirsty.” The kicker came when I walked out to La Rue Road and witnessed a car taking laps up and down the street, with its passengers cheering and flying a large American flag out of the moon roof. 

That is not the response of a true American patriot, and especially not what I expected of my peers. I love UC Davis and have had the time of my life in this town, but never have I been so ashamed of my fellow Aggies as I was in that moment.

Apparently, America collectively feels that since bin Laden “hit us first,” we have the right to celebrate his demise in any way we choose. A UC Davis student and friend of mine expressed the opinion that bin Laden and al-Qaeda felt that “all Americans are evil” and that they “do not see us as humans.” My friend asserts that bin Laden fought to kill us and our families based on this belief. 

I wonder if he ever stopped to consider that millions in the Middle East likely have a similar perception of George W. Bush and the United States. Many people apparently believe that the Middle East is populated by hate mongers and religious zealots hell-bent on destroying all that is dear to us. What the hell do you think some kid in Iraq who watched U.S. troops invade his country, occupy his hometown and kill his neighbors, friends and family thinks about the United States? The rank and file of al-Qaeda are people who have been driven to radicalism by a combination of manipulation, patriotism and desperation. They aren’t so different from the average Americans. They have made a human reaction to the dire straits in which they were placed. Was this the correct response?  Probably not, but who are we to judge without walking a mile in their shoes?

I have also seen the argument that proposes this is the only way to truly redeem the deaths of the victims of 9/11. There is no bringing those people back and no way to undo the pain suffered by the ones that loved them. This does not finish the saga of the post-9/11 era, – not by a long shot. There is nothing “victorious” about killing Osama bin Laden, because the extra violence has not brought the world any more good. The death of one person could hardly put an end to terrorism and unrest in the Middle East. All that has happened is that an old man has died after managing to elude the CIA and the world’s most powerful military for almost an entire decade after they should have captured him.  

Thus Bush’s dogmatic pro-American rhetoric may have been ridiculed for its grammatical errors and mispronunciations, but it clearly still shapes the opinions of many, including liberals like my friends. These opinions work from an inherent belief that the United States is just in all of its actions, paying no mind to the perception of those in other parts of the world. 

This is why I have met my fair share of Americans who pretend to be Canadians when they go abroad. Many have called Americans arrogant, ignorant and insensitive. Unfortunately, these criticisms are often true. How are we any better than the radicals who celebrated the toppling of the World Trade Center when millions of us are already lining up to spit on bin Laden’s grave?

For the record, I feel that Osama bin Laden was an irrefutably hate-filled man. His actions were responsible for the deaths of thousands and the sorrow of millions. But he was still a man. He was a human being with people who loved him in spite of the terrible atrocities carried out per his orders. Osama bin Laden was an enemy of the United States and may have deserved his eventual fate, but these disgusting reactions to his passing only perpetuate the cycle of hatred which lead to 9/11 in the first place. 

The only way to end that cycle is to promote understanding and acceptance. We must truly let go and move on from the tragedy of Sept. 11, never forgetting, but also never letting its memory color our good judgment. I felt that the United States had made great progress toward that goal, but what I witnessed today from the students of a great school with a progressive reputation leaves me significantly less optimistic.

It does not matter to me whether or not this is published, but I sincerely hope that there are some like-minded people in Davis who take issue with the shortsightedness displayed by students today and write to you. I hope you address this in an upcoming issue of The Aggie, because I feel that this is something that the UC Davis community in general needs to give some honest thought to.

Steven Sharp

1. I feel it. I think the weakest point by a long shot in this editorial is about Bin Laden being a human with people who care about him. That’s not what I think was well said. But I think the rest of the points were important ones to think about. And with regard to criticizing our own about sinking to a certain un-classy level, I think that is not so much in saying that this kind of reaction is more reprehensible than the act its responding to. I think it is rather applying the “Fix yourself and help others” mentality. You can’t change your opponent–criticizing them won’t do as much good– but you can uplift your own (you can apply this to a school/national level) standards.

2. Here’s the thing Steven: I’m all for the basic human empathy you’ve expressed here for a man that is extremely difficult to empathize with. Some of the behavior seen after Bin Laden’s death made me cringe as well. However, as great as it is for you to be able to be emphatic for Bin Laden given this situation, I also have to ask if you truly find it more difficult to be emphatic towards those who this news made happy. While I don’t agree with their actions, surely the same effort to understand where they are coming from can be made if you are also willing to make the effort for a mass murderer.

3. Dadaist- I mentioned nothing about “containment” policies, but thanks anyways for the sassy quip. I still stand by the fact that America is an anomaly in the history of tyrannical world societies, but that takes away from the main issue. Why would liberals show any type of consideration for a fundamentalist,militaristic, conservative hate-monger who stands for racist ( anti-jew, anti-non-muslim) and misogynist (that goes without saying) values? It may not be classy to pull the H-card here, but would ANYONE dare to question celebration after Hitler was killed? That would just be in poor taste. And “hate begets hate” is usually used to describe groups who stand on relatively similar moral ground (the bloods and crips), not one democratic nation against a far-flung group of fanatic pyschopaths. If Al-Qaeda is destroyed, it will be just as relieving and satisfying as hearing that there is no longer a Nazi party to worry about.

4. 1.”I wonder if he ever stopped to consider that millions in the Middle East likely have a similar perception of George W. Bush and the United States.” And, Steven, I wonder what they percieve of the the president who has been in office for the past 2 years who has continued those wars?

2″The rank and file of al-Qaeda are people who have been driven to radicalism by a combination of manipulation, patriotism and desperation. They aren’t so different from the average Americans.” – Sure, your average selection of the human stock will be as susceptible to collective behavior and violence, but that’s the difference- Civilian murder conducted for maximum impact is a shame and an atrocity when we do it, but to them it is sanctified and even made holy, and apparently in need of sympathy according to you.

3.” He was a human being with people who loved him..” Who do you think loved him the most? The four women “promised to him” and the 24 children he fathered, many of whom he urged to become suicide bombers when they reached their teens? Maybe Omar bin Laden, who remembers his father testing chemical weaponry on his pet dogs in order to practice for the killing of innocents. Sure, he was a MAN, but what does that even signify? He was an AWFUL man who unfairly recieved 10 more years of life than he should have. Liberals and everyone else should question the logic of defending people simply because they percieve them to be the “underdog”. Open your eyes. The United States is vast, but it is only a fragment of democracy in a world filled with totalitarian, communist, theocratic, and underdeveloped failures ran by people like bin Laden. What is the strangest thing is that your defending a militaristic conservative. Osama bin Laden stands for a completely non-progressive ideal on almost every issue, he is a thousand times more conservative than Bush or Reagan, and a million times more conservative even than Fred Phelps, the hate-spewing cult leader who DOESN’T kill people. I have a suspicion that you wouldnt find anything wrong with spitting or dancing on THEIR graves.

5. Hate begets hate; it is as simple as that. Steven, I appreciate and truly sympathize with your above response, and I think indeed, there are many people in this great country who would agree with you. Although I reserve no remorse for Bin Laden’s death, I do not feel it is just cause for celebration.

Obviously, this is a very complicated issue, and surely, there is no “correct” response. All we can do now is move forward with our lives, help those we can, and strive for positive change. I only hope people everywhere take the time to really consider the importance and value of perspective, and its corresponding consequences. Arrogance and intolerance are the products of a closed mind, which ultimately lead to failure and conflict.

6. Nice ad hominem attack Lukacs!

For whatever it is worth I am not uncritical of the US. Our history has had innumerable blemishes. That said, the US is far, far, far better than any Islamic country and for reasons that, no doubt, you will refuse to debate in a civilized manner.

The US for all its faults has at its core a constitution that enshrines individual rights and equalities even if we have not always upheld these ideals.

In sharp contrast to this Islam’s core tenets believe non-Muslims are inferior beings, not worthy of the same rights as Muslims. And, it goes without saying, that women and gays are also inferior beings.

So, I feel priveleged to be an American despite our history of falling short of our ideals, and in fact often living in direct contradictions to those ideals. For all our faults we did not side with Hitler as Islam did and we at least try to live up to the ideals stated in our Constitution as opposed to the hatred espoused in the Qur’an.

7. Steven, how dare you mention the United States’ long and sordid history of imperialist violence and support for criminal client regimes? How dare you attempt to understand the complex political and economic reality of 25% of the world’s population? Your failure to demonize them is outrageous and un-American! Now go wrap yourself in the stars and stripes and do a victory dance because we all feel safer now that we’ve proved that “our” killing team is better than “theirs.”

8. That’s mighty generous of you, Steven, to place the blame for Islamic hatred upon, well, America. Creative logic I must say.

By this same logic I suppose you would accuse the Muslim genocide of black Africans in Sudan at the feet of those damn black Africans who evidently provoked those peace-loving Muslims.

And, of course, the 5,000 (and counting) Buddhists killed in southern Thailand provoked Muslims into killing them because they were chanting too loudly and this drove the Muslims to murder. Brilliant, Steven, I think you’re onto something here.

And the slow but immutable genocide of Christians in Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt, Nigeria, etc…is the fault of the colonialists of some 50+ years ago. Muslims have a long memory when it comes to hate, I guess.

And all the Hindus murdered by Muslims (still happening today, Steven) is that also someone else’s fault, i.e., not the fault of the Muslims who pull the trigger?

And all the Jews who Ahmadinejad and Hamas and Fatah (if you listen to their Arabic speeches) and the rest of the Muslim world liken to pigs and apes and who they want to take Hitler’s act one step further? Is this all because of Israel and the “horrible occupation” or might it not have a thing or two to do with Islam.

You know, Steven, Islam’s prophet was a murdering rapist who acquired great wealth by pillaging and destroying non-Muslim villages and caravans. The Qur’an –a history of his life and teachings – is filled with verses of universal hatred of non-Muslims like you Steven. But we all know those are just words and don’t really represent anything to do with Islam, eh Steven?

In fact when Muslims go “Muslim” thanks to a cartoon or a Qur’an roast or whatever it’s not Islam’s fault ever. It’s the cartoonist’s, or preacher’s fault, right? When Muslims slowly cut off the heads of journalists and UN Aid workers it’s not Islam’s fault it’s the aid workers fault for daring to step foot inside the caliphate, right?

Steven, your ideals probably make you feel superior to all those base people who celebrated Osama’s death but they’re nothing more than your twisted rationalizations and have less to do with the real world than Santa Claus has.