Friday, October 25, 2024

Campus News Summer Digest

UC Regents vote for 9.6 percent fee increase

Aug. 1 ? In a UC Regents meeting on July 14, the regents voted to increase tuition by 9.6 percent in order to offset the recent $650 million cut to University of California funding from the state. The 9.6 percent increase, along with the 8 percent increase already signed into law for this fall, will mean that the total tuition will increase by about $1,890 ? from $10,302 to $12,192 a year. This does not include individual campus student fees.

At UC Davis, the fee increase coupled with UC Davis student fees will mean that students will be paying approximately $16,094.86.

“Faced with enormous financial cuts forced on us by political leaders, we only have a handful of options open to us, and all are horrible options. As much as I hate voting for this increase, I hate even more letting this institution slide into mediocrity,” said Regent Bonny Reiss.

? Originally reported by Hannah Strumwasser

Judge finds UC Davis not guilty of sex discrimination

Aug. 8 ? A federal judge ruled in regard to a 2003 case that UC Davis did not discriminate against women wrestlers. However, the judge found that UC Davis violated certain parts of Title IX, a set of guidelines created to provide equal opportunity in athletics for both men and women.

The case, Mansourian v. Regents of the University of California, was based on complaints made in 2001 by four women wrestlers who said that they were denied the right to join the UC Davis wrestling team due to their sex.

While the judge found UC Davis not guilty of gender discrimination, when it came to “Prong 2,” a specific part of Title IX, the judge also decided that UC Davis was not completely complying with the rule. Specifically, he said that UC Davis should have provided more options for women athletes when two women’s junior varsity teams were cut in the 2000-01 school year. The mixed results of the ruling led both sides of the lawsuit to claim victory.

UC Davis approves sustainable agriculture major

Aug. 15 ? UC Davis approved a new major called sustainable agriculture and food systems for the upcoming Fall quarter.

The student-inspired major, in the college of agricultural and environmental science, will encompass all sustainable skills needed to develop work and food in a more ecological and socially viable manner for farmers, officials said.

“There is a rapidly growing need for graduates that are well prepared to deal with the different challenges in agriculture,” said Mark Van Horn, director of the plant sciences department. “The new major demonstrates a broad understanding of agriculture and its diverse roles in society and its new opportunities.”

? Originally reported by Alicia Kindred

Budget cuts cause reduced mail delivery on campus

Aug. 22 ? Recent budget cuts at UC Davis have reduced mail delivery provided by the Mail Division on campus.

“It is one of the many areas where funding has gone away, we cannot afford to do business as usual,” said Phillip Lacey, assistant director of the material management office. “There were very few options; one cannot cover the same amount of territory daily with reduced people and vehicles.” ?The mail service was one of various departments that faced budget reductions. Beginning Aug. 1, funding was reduced by 33 percent, a total of $180,000, Lacey said. Student Housing, the Chancellor’s Office and the Tri Co-ops are among the groups that face mail delivery reduction.

Due to this reduction, several new collection boxes will be installed on campus. Outgoing interoffice mail and U.S. mail in the new boxes will be collected on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 2 p.m. for same business day processing.

? Originally reported by Alicia Kindred

UC announces faculty pay raises

Aug. 22 ? UC President Mark Yudof announced that UC faculty would be receiving their first pay raises in over 4 years.

In a letter to the UC Chancellors, Yudof explained the raises could only be given to faculty who make less than $200,000 a year. The pay raises will be given based on merit, and professors will be evaluated this coming fall. The UC system will spend $140 million on these raises. These raises will also apply to non-represented faculty.

“One purpose of this pool is to give you a tool in your efforts to recruit, and most importantly, retain leading faculty members, who increasingly are being courted by competing institutions,” Yudof wrote.

According to Steve Montiel, UC spokesperson, money for these raises will come from recent student fee hikes, general fund money and other sources from the university, such as medical centers and grants.

UC Davis ranked in top 50 best colleges

Aug. 22 ? UC Davis was ranked 27 in a ranking of the 50 best universities in the United States, published by The Best Colleges on Aug. 8.

The Best Colleges board of editors decides the methodology and criteria. For the 2011-12 year, the rankings were based on the economic value of a school and the quality of life offered.

“We decided this in light of the current economic situation of the country, in which people are especially budget conscious as well as the present state of higher education, in which tuition costs are on the rise and students are taking longer than ever to graduate,” said Jeremy Alder, managing editor of The Best Colleges, in an e-mail interview. “With the school’s generous financial aid policy, UC Davis students end up with a really good deal, especially in light of the school’s track record of producing graduates who go on to well-paying careers.”

? Originally reported by Akshaya Ramanujam

CAMPUS NEWS SUMMER DIGEST was compiled by HANNAH STRUMWASSER. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.