News-in-Brief: Measure C passes with 72.3 percent majority

With a three-fourths majority, Davis voters approved Measure C on Tuesday. The education parcel tax received 12,435 votes in favor of the tax (72.3 percent) and 4,756 ballots against the measure (27.7 percent). A two-thirds majority was needed to approve the tax.
The five-year parcel tax will raise $6.5 million a year for classroom programs in the Davis schools.

“Measure C’s resounding win affirms once again the high value Davis voters place on education,” said State Rep. Mariko Yamada (D- Davis) in a statement. “I’m proud to live in and represent a community that truly values its children and those who teach and care for them in excellent public schools.”

Single-family homeowners will be charged $320 per home and owners of multi-unit dwellings will pay $150 per unit for five years. This tax replaced the expiring Measures Q and W, which charged the same amounts.

Measure C’s approval cancels pink slips that otherwise would have been sent to about 120 school district employees, representing the equivalent of about 87 full-time positions.

Even with Measure C’s approval, the school district still faces a $3.5 million deficit that could cause layoffs for district employees by March 15.

According to the Elections Office, voter turnout was 39.9 percent, with 17,210 ballots cast out of 43,138 registered voters.

— Angela Swartz