Aggies build momentum at Mondo

Head coach Drew Wartenburg had hoped to succeed in all aspects of this weekend’s meet.

UC Davis certainly achieved that goal.

The Aggie men capitalized on the performance of senior Ethan Ostrum, who won the men’s pole vault after clearing 5.0m.

Sophomore Nathan Strum and freshman Trevor Ehlenbach earned a 1-2 finish in the 1,500m run and the men’s 4X400m relay team brought home the final win of the day for UC Davis’ men with a season-best time of 3:15.21.

Junior Michael Petersen added another six points to the Aggie total after vaulting 4.85m.

Sophomore Hosea Tate and freshman Jason Chandler, two members of the winning 4X400m relay team, also captured points for the Aggies after placing fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 200m.

Their other relay mate, sophomore Karl Moran, finished fifth in the 500m with a season-best time of 49.85.

Senior Robert Neely also added points to UC Davis’ card by placing fourth in the 110 hurdles with a time of 15.02.

On the field side of the meet, sophomore Brandon Greenberg rode his hot streak to another season-best performance in shot put. He placed second after jettisoning his shot 16.40m, placing him eighth overall on the list of Aggie shot putters.

Not to be outdone, UC Davis’ women also claimed several top-five event placings.

Sophomore Alycia Cridebring brought home the only event win of the day for the women after finishing the 1,500m run in 4:28.11. She was followed by three fellow sophomores: Kristine Loyoza, Shannon Harcus and Courtney Costa, who finished third, sixth and eighth respectively.

Junior sprinter Melanie Chapman blitzed to a second-place finish in the 100m with a time of 11.79. She then collected a third-place finish in the 200m with a time of 24.51. Fellow junior Leslie Reed joined Chapman in the top five after placing fifth in the 200m with a time of 24.65.

Chapman and Reed joined freshmen Cekarri Nixon and Janay Pierce in the 4X100m relay. The four posted a collective time of 46.62, the fifth-best time in UC Davis history.

Senior Tonie Williams brought home another third-place finish for the Aggies after running a season-best 56.27 in the 400m.

Freshman Katie Fry impressed again this season after placing fourth in the 800m with a time of 2:11.61.

Sprinters Chapman and Nixon joined sophomore Kellie Grigg and senior Alana Babers to post a season-best time of 3:48.55 and take third place in the 4X400m relay.

The Aggie women also excelled in the field events thanks to senior Lauren Radke’s 3.85m pole vault, which took second overall. Radke was joined by junior Emily Bush who took fifth overall after clearing 3.55m.

Senior Ashley Hearn rounded out the top five placings for UC Davis after claiming fourth overall in the hammer throw. She gave her second-best distance of the season, an impressive 54.44m.

Wartenburg applauded his team’s performance and he looks forward to the upcoming weeks.

“Several event wins … and a number of season and lifetime bests give us some solid building blocks for the weeks to come,” he said.

KIM CARR can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.