Aggies light up Saint Mary’s

UC Davis took its seventh win in nine games with its 7-2 win over Saint Mary’s on Tuesday.

Freshman Kevin Barker went four-for-five with three RBIs, sophomore Evan Wolf pitched five innings while surrendering only one run as UC Davis took a victory in its final away game of the season.

UC Davis improves to 25-29 overall (10-11 Big West Conference), winning seven of its last nine, averaging over six runs a game during that span.

Junior Paul Politi hit a solo shot in the first inning, his third of the season, and senior Brett Morgan scored a career-high four runs to support an offense that is tearing it up.

The UC Davis offense was complimented by a strong performance from the pitching staff that limited the Gaels to just five hits. Wolf picked up the win to move to 3-4 on the year and freshman Spencer Koopmans struck out a career-high six batters in three innings of relief.

With the score 2-1 in the sixth, Morgan and senior Ryan Allgrove hit back-to-back singles, then freshman Evan Heptig drew a walk, and Barker delivered with an RBI single. That was then followed by a Politi infield single to put the Aggies up 4-1.

UC Davis opened the game in the eighth, scoring three runs on three hits. Barker knocked in Morgan for the third time and junior Austin Logan doubled to score Heptig and Barker.

Morgan and Politi were both hit by pitches in the game, raising the Aggies’ season total to 95. Patrick Wisdom hit two solo home runs to account for both of Saint Mary’s runs.

Sophomore Harry Stanwyck entered in the ninth and retired the side in order to secure the 7-2 victory.

“This team had a goal all along,” said head coach Matt Vaughn. “To get this thing turned around and we’re playing our best ball here at the end of the season.”

UC Davis will close out the 2012 season with a weekend matchup versus Big West foe UC Irvine. The Aggies will hope to continue finishing the season dialed in on offense, first pitch at Dobbins Stadium on Friday at 2:30 p.m.

RUSSELL EISENMAN can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.