Tuesday, May 7, 2024

February gallery exhibits

As we wrap up with the month of January, we anticipate and welcome a new batch of art shows coming to Davis’ galleries in February. Some galleries are still hosting their January shows — swing by to check them out before they get replaced by these upcoming exhibitions.

Nelson Gallery
Design+Build: An open call exhibition for all artists, designers and techies within the student body, faculty and general public; this exhibit will be made up of works from any and all contributors and will reward a $500 prize to the piece that fits closest with UC Davis’ vision for the future of art at the university.
Opening Reception: Feb. 8, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Feb. 8 to Mar. 17
Nelson Hall, UC Davis

Natsoulas Gallery
Bark! Celebration of Man’s Best Friend: A display of dog-related works by over 30 different artists honoring our canine companions. Also featured are solo shows from Roy de Forest and Amber Aguirre.
Opening Reception: Feb. 10, 7 to 9 p.m.
Feb. 1 to 25
521 First Street

Pence Gallery
By Hand: Extraordinary Fine Craft in California: A carefully selected exhibit of artwork by modern Californian artists, ranging in material from wood to glass to ceramics.
Opening reception: Feb. 8, 6 to 9 p.m.
Feb. 8 to Apr. 5
212 D Street

Design Museum
Structures, Signifiers and Society: People and Textiles: A display of the way textiles from around the world communicate, in conjunction with the book Textiles: The Art of Mankind, by Mary Schoeser.
Opening Reception: Today, 6 to 8 p.m.
Museum Walk with Curator: Sunday, 2 to 4 p.m.
Jan. 22 to Mar. 18
124 Cruess Hall, UC Davis

Gorman Museum
The Weavings of D.Y. Begay: A fourth-generation Navajo weaver depicts Tselani, Ariz., her tribe’s homestead.
Artist Reception: Feb. 12, 4 p.m.
Jan. 8 to Mar. 15
1316 Hart Hall, UC Davis

Craft Center Gallery
2.5 Dimensional: A study in fragmented sculpture by Joanna Kidd, an instructor at the Craft Center and a sculptor of international renown.
Closing Reception: Feb. 8, 6 to 7 p.m.
Jan. 7 to Feb. 8
Craft Center, South Silo, UC Davis

And in celebration of Biodiversity Museum Day 2013, the biological museums of UC Davis will be open special weekend hours, Feb. 2 from 1 to 4 p.m. These museums include the Bohart Museum of Entomology, the Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology, the Botanical Conservatory, the Center for Plant Diversity, the Anthropology Museum and the Geology Museum (all located on campus).

TANYA AZARI can be reached at arts@theaggie.com.