Best Evening Entertainment

In the past year, the Mondavi Center has boasted many hard acts to follow; to name a few: Eddie Izzard, B.B. King, Dance Theatre of Harlem and The Shins. As a result, Mondavi was picked the best venue for evening entertainment in Davis.

The Mondavi Center hosts a wide variety of artists in different disciplines in a state-of-the-art facility. Students are able to get discounts on tickets, making it extra-popular. First-years and first-year transfer students are able to get one free ticket to any event during that year.

The Mondavi Center was built in accordance to the UC Davis mission as a land grant university. It offers cultural programming to students in support of the university’s academic departments. Additionally, the Mondavi Center has a professional laboratory to train students in the performing arts.

“The Mondavi Center is a great place for a night out to stimulate intellectual discussion and brings a new unique entertainment value to the student campus,” said Max Hong, an undeclared second-year.

As a great place to enjoy amazing talent, the Mondavi Center concentrates on the educational outreach respect as well. Artists that perform at the Mondavi Center also contribute to the arts education program at the center, which includes school matinees, master classes, lecture-demonstrations, open rehearsals and curriculum development.

All of the programs offered at Mondavi are open to the entire community of Davis, not just college students.

“We look forward to all our events, of course,” said Rob Tocalino, director of marketing at the Mondavi Center. “But personally I am looking forward to Medeski Martin & Wood playing in front of an authentic 1960s psychedelic light show, Robert Randolph and The Slide Brothers, and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis.”

Regal Cinema and Varsity Theatre tied for second place. De Vere’s Irish Pub Trivia Night came in third place.

— Kamila Kudelska