Best Place to People Watch

Growing up, children are often told that it’s rude to stare. However, in a town with as many colorful characters as Davis, sometimes it can be hard not to. There are a variety of places to watch interesting individuals in Davis — whether one considers people watching to be an interesting, inexpensive hobby or something everyone does unintentionally, there is no better place to people watch than our very own UC Davis Quad.

Although on an average day many students can be found in the Quad taking a nap, reading a book or accidentally napping while attempting to read a book, other days there are more interesting happenings to be found.

“There was this guy interpretive dancing without music,” said Neena Kashyap, a third-year animal science major. “He was twirling around, just dancing to his own music, because he didn’t have headphones on.”

Other notable sightings in the Quad, according to Kashyap, include the infamous “whip guy” and students playing Quidditch. On a larger scale, events such as the Whole Earth Festival — perhaps the best 72 hours of people watching known to take place in Yolo County all year — also takes place in the Quad.

Although some may find people watching to be creepy, Kashyap, who is a member of the women’s club ultimate frisbee team and often spends time around the Quad, sees nothing wrong with it.

“It’s interesting. It’s normal,” Kashyap said. “When my sister and I are at the airport, we’ll even watch people and make up stories about them. Everyone observes everyone in the world!”

Other top-notch places in Davis to people watch include the Davis Farmers Market, which is held on Saturdays at Central Park from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wednesdays from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. between March 21 and Oct. 24 and from 2 to 6 p.m. the rest of the year, and the ASUCD Coffee House.

— Meredith Sturmer