This week in men’s sports

Soccer (6-1-9):

UC Davis @ Cal Poly (W, 1-0)

UC Davis @ Sacramento State (T, 0-0)

With some momentum after a win against rival UC Santa Barbara, the UC Davis men’s soccer team travelled down to San Luis Obispo to face the Cal Poly Mustangs. The Aggies finished the game ahead 1-0 thanks to a stingy defense and a strike from senior Matt Sheldon in the 64th minute. The goal was Sheldon’s third of the season while sophomore goalkeeper Armando Quezada posted his second consecutive shutout.

With a two-game winning streak in tow, the Aggies crossed the causeway to play Sacramento State in the home of the USL Pro Sac. Republic FC. Sheldon, who scored against UCSB, took five shots but was unable to find the back of the net. Once again, the UC Davis defense proved to be stout and kept the Aggies from suffering a loss in the Causeway Classic.

Tennis:

USTA/ITA Northwest Regionals

After a grueling three-day period at the ITA Northwest Regionals, UC Davis was represented on the last day by a lone doubles team. Sophomore Alec Adamson and junior Adam Levie fought their way to the semifinal round of the main draw, won the first set and plowed ahead 4-1 in the second set.

From there, the match took a turn for the worse as their opponents won the next five games to take the second set. The third and final set went to a tie-break situation that saw the Aggie duo hold match point at 9-8 before eventually falling 9-11.

The Aggies now have the Saint Mary’s Fall Invitational to look forward to on Halloween, before taking a break until the middle of January.

Water Polo (12-14):

UC Davis vs. No. 13 Air Force (W, 12-11)

The Rodeo Tournament:

UC Davis vs. No. 19 Cal Baptist (W, 13-9), vs. No. 14 Brown (L, 12-11), vs. Bucknell (L, 11-10), @ No. 15 Santa Clara (W, 7-6)

In a close-fought game against No. 13 Air Force, the second quarter that saw the Aggies outscore the Falcons 5-3 proved to be the deciding factor. Junior Sean Grab scored a game-high of four goals while senior Michael Wright provided a hat trick for the Aggies, who have bested Air Force for the second time this season.

With a win against Air Force in the books, the Aggies headed to The Rodeo in Santa Clara, Calif. The first day saw a dominant win against No. 19 Cal Baptist and a close loss to No. 14 Brown, but the real story of the day belonged to senior Chris Richardson. The senior captured the UC Davis record for goals in a career as he saw his 203rd career goal splash through the net against Brown.

In what has become a common trend, UC Davis played two more close games on the last day of the tournament. First, the Aggies fell to unranked Bucknell, who were carried by five goals from Grant Curry. UC Davis got four goals from Grab, but was unable to recover from the 7-6 halftime deficit. The game against Santa Clara University proved to be a low-scoring affair, as the Aggies snuck by thanks to two overtime goals by Grab.

The UC Davis men’s water polo team will return home for a three-game homestand from Oct. 31 to Nov. 9.