This week in men’s and women’s sports

This Week in Sports (updated weekly)

Men’s Basketball (14-4):

UC Davis @ Hawai’i (L, 84-76)

The UC Davis men’s basketball team traveled across the Pacific to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands with the mission of advancing to 5-0 in Big West play. Perhaps distracted by the warm weather and sandy beaches, the Aggies faltered in the first half of the game and were down 37-48 at halftime while allowing their opponent to shoot 62.1 percent from the field.

During the second half, UC Davis managed to outscore their opponent, making 62.65 percent from beyond the arc while holding the Rainbow Warriors to 40 percent shooting. Still, they only outscored Hawai’i by three, unable to make up the 11-point deficit they faced at halftime. The team fell with a final score of 76-84. Senior guard Corey Hawkins led the Aggies with 19 points, but turned the ball over seven times. The Aggies finished with 24 turnovers compared to nine by their opponents, a deciding factor in the game.

The Aggies will now play a two-game homestand, facing Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara on Thursday and Saturday.

Women’s Basketball (8-9):

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (L, 53-58)

In the first half, the Aggies looked as if they were going to cruise to a relatively easy lead. Despite a small three-point lead, UC Davis was holding its opponent to 31 percent shooting and junior forward Alyson Doherty was looking unstoppable on the block. The second half began in a similar fashion, with Doherty hitting two straight and-ones to extend the lead.

Then, however, UC Davis began to turn the ball over and both Doherty and senior forward Sydnee Fipps saw foul trouble. The two sat with four fouls each with almost nine minutes remaining in the game and Fipps fouled out with over five left. Those last minutes proved vital as the Rainbow Warriors roared back and captured a five-point victory.

The Aggies played outstanding defense throughout the game, holding their opponent to 32.8 percent shooting, but turned the ball over 18 times. Doherty was dominant with 18 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks, but her foul trouble clearly inhibited her over the final few minutes.

UC Davis will travel south to face Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.

Gymnastics (4-5):

UC Davis @ Sacramento State (2nd, 194.800)

Despite the Aggies placing behind their cross-causeway rivals overall, the Aggies had several gymnasts finish impressively. Senior Tiana Montell and sophomore Katy Nogaki placed first and second in the vault, while junior Stephanie Stamates and freshman Alexis Brown led the balance beam.

Two Aggie gymnasts, junior Cassandra Quebral and redshirt freshman Jordan Helgesen, competed in their first collegiate events. Still, the Aggies weren’t able to overcome a sweep by Sacramento State on the floor. UC Davis will return home to face George Washington on Feb. 8.

Swimming & Diving:

Swimming @ UCSB (W, 148-114)

The Aggies traveled to Santa Barbara to face the Gauchos and dominated throughout the meet, finishing with a 34-point victory. Senior Samantha Shellem was spectacular, winning three individual events while also anchoring the winning 200-yard medley event. The Aggies scored another individual win by junior Marissa Brown.

The team will return to UC Davis and face the University of Pacific on Saturday, their last meet before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships.

Men’s Tennis (3-2):

UC Davis @ California (L, 0-4)

UC Davis @ Loyola Marymount (W, 4-3)

UC Davis vs. Grand Canyon (W, 5-2)

The Aggies embarked on a four-match road-trip after defeating University of Pacific at home. UC Davis started off the trip with a low point, failing to win a set against Cal. No Aggie player won more than three games in a set. The Aggies’ second competition, against Loyola Marymount, saw a final win by sophomore Bryce McKelvie decide the day. The sophomore lost his first set 1-6, won the second 6-3 and defeated his opponent in a deciding third set that went into extra sets.

The final competition of the week came against Grand Canyon University a day after their marathon meet with LMU. The Aggies swept their doubles play and won all but two singles matches to take home the victory. UC Davis will complete their road-trip on Saturday at Santa Clara University.

Women’s Tennis (2-2):

UC Davis @ Portland State (W, 6-1)

UC Davis @ Portland (L, 3-4)

The UC Davis women’s tennis squad begin their spring season with five straight matches on the road, facing Portland State and Portland back-to-back. The Aggies defeated Portland State handily, losing only one singles match. Freshman Lani-Rae Green saw two sets go into overtime, but managed to pull out a three-set victory. Only the No. 2 player, junior Tiffany Pham, lost her match.

On the second day of their back-to-back, now facing Portland, the Aggies fell to their hosts 3-4. The team split its singles matches with Portland, but failed to gain the decisive point in doubles play. UC Davis will now play at Sacramento State on Friday before returning home for a match against University of Pacific the following day.

Graphic by The California Aggie Graphics