Friday, May 10, 2024

Small changes for sustainable lifestyles

On April 1, the UC Davis Farmers Market relocated from the Silo to the North Quad and will be open every Wednesday during the Spring Quarter from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. The market was started as an extension of the Davis Farmers Market in 2007 and was originally located behind the UC Davis Silo near the Campus Recreation Craft Center until its relocation this year. The weekly event is meant to further a commitment to healthy eating, natural sustainability and overall healthy lifestyles in the UC Davis community, as well as to increase UC Davis students’ access to fresh fruits and vegetables.

We believe the relocation of the market will lead to positive changes for the market, which will ultimately support a healthy UC Davis community lifestyle. The Quad is a more central, spacious area; thus, students are more likely to be aware of the market’s presence.

Along with the advocacy of healthy lifestyles, the market brings together and creates visibility for different campus organizations and communities.

Many eco-sustainability groups in the UC Davis community such as the Campus Center for the Environment, and the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission (EPPC) support the event in its backing of eco-friendly living. Additionally, the market has a zero-waste policy and promotes the use of reusable bags. We hope the Market’s message of sustainability encourages more students to reject environmentally-destructive habits.

The Market is still somewhat small, but we hope that it continues to exist and expand so that we can continue to support local farmers and UC Davis’ pursuit for a healthier, eco-friendly community.

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.