This week in men’s sports

Men’s sports action from March 30 to April 6

Baseball (19­10­1):

UC Davis vs. Saint Mary’s (W, 11­2)

UC Davis @ Hawai’i (L, L, L, W)

The Aggies had four straight games in the Aloha State, but first had to finish off a four game homestand with a competition against Saint Mary’s. UC Davis rolled to an easy victory after scoring seven runs in the first three innings. The win was their seventh in a row after taking their first three straight Big West games against UC Riverside.

Hawai’i proved to be a tougher matchup as the Aggies quickly found themselves on a three game losing streak. UC Davis lost the first two by five and eight points, respectively, before playing a slightly tighter third. On their final day overseas, the Aggies were able to buckle down on defense and hold their opponents scoreless, despite allowing eight hits. Meanwhile, UC Davis batted in three runs in the first two innings to provide just enough offense.

Golf:

ASU Thunderbird Invitational (7 of 14)

Cowboy Classic (5 of 18)

Just a week before UC Davis men’s golf hosts the El Macero Classic, the Aggies found themselves busy with back-to-back tournaments in Arizona against dominant competition. On the first day of the Thunderbird Invitational, the Aggies finished in fourth place behind a phenomenal 2-under 68 by junior Luke Vivolo in the first round. The team, however, struggled on the second day and dropped to a seventh place finish. Vivolo ended the tournament two over par, No. 14 individually.

A similar storyline played out in the Cowboy Classic as the Aggies jumped out to a first place finish on the opening day of play. Senior Mike Brockington shot a career low 7-under in his first round and ended up first individually, while Vivolo came in fifth. Each player slipped drastically on the second day, however, as the Aggies stumbled to a still solid fifth place finish. Brockington shot a 2-over 74 and came in No. 10 on the leaderboard while Vivolo finished at No. 17.

Track and Field:

San Francisco State Distance Carnival

Stanford Invitational

UCLA Legends Invitational

UC Davis track and field athletes spanned the California map on April 3 and 4, competing in three separate invitational events. The Aggies struggled to make in impact on the leaderboard on the first day of the San Francisco State Distance Carnival. The highest UC Davis finisher in any of the distance events was junior Amar Dholakai who took No. 13 in the 10,000 meter. Freshman Drake Foote was able to leave his mark on both the long jump and high jump, finishing No. 5 and 7 respectively. Sophomore Hawk Hammer added a No. 4 finish in the pole vault. The second day proved more fruitful as several Aggies took high finishes, including sophomore Matt Moreno who finished seventh and No. 12 in the 400 and 200 meter races, respectively.

Junior Trevor Halsted won the 5,000 meter for UC Davis at the UCLA Legends Invitational on the first day, while four Aggies took home finishes in the top-15 in 1,500 and the 100 meter races on the second day. Junior Jason Chandler won the 400 meter hurdles and several other Aggies finished within the top ten of their individual meets. There was no team scoring for this event.

The final competition of the busy two day stretch took place in Stanford, with only a few Aggies competing. On the first day, senior Nathan Strum finished No. 12 in the 1500. The next day, senior Trevor Ehlenbach came in eighth place in the 800 meter while sophomore Marc Toney tied for first in the pole vault. The Aggies will reconvene as a team for the Arizona State Sun Angel Classic on April 10 and 11.

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.