Men’s golf faces off in NCAA Tournament

After a second-place finish in the Big West Conference Tournament left the Aggies without an at-large bid, the team was selected for the NCAA Regionals in Bremerton, Wash. UC Davis is ranked No. 10 in the 14 team tournament behind the likes of nationally ranked teams such as No. 9 South Carolina and No. 16 Washington.

The Aggies enter the tournament ranked No. 59 nationally and have played well throughout the regular season. The team won the El Macero Classic in April, but have had trouble closing out tournaments. At the Bandon Dunes Championship, UC Davis jumped out to first place on the opening day, before falling to sixth. At the Cowboy Classic in April, the team faced a similar drop as they went from first to fifth.

Two UC Davis golfers were named to the All-Big West First Team, senior Mike Brockington and Big West Player of the Year junior Luke Vivolo. Vivolo is the first Aggie to be named Player of the Year and he is currently ranked No. 129 individually in the country by Golfweek. Vivolo has shot under 70 in five rounds this season, while winning the El Macero Classic.

Brockington is the next highest ranked Aggie, according to Golfweek, coming in at No. 309 while All-Big West Second Team senior Matt Seramin is No. 402. UC Davis will come up against several highly ranked players, including No. 5 Cheng Tsung Pan for Washington and No. 21 Will Starke for South Carolina.

To qualify for the NCAA Finals, the Aggies will have to finish within the top five teams in their region. If they can accomplish that feat, they will move on to play in Bradenton, Fla., at the end of May. This is the second straight year that the team has been selected for an at-large bid.