Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Aggie Style Watch: Student Fashion Association club spotlight

Have you ever wondered if there is an outlet at UC Davis for your interest in the fashion industry? Search no further because the Student Fashion Association (SFA) is full of individuals who share a love for the wondrous realm of clothing, textiles, beauty, accessories, entertainment and pop culture. To wrap up their events for this year, the SFA will host their last thrift store of the year, only this time with a twist.

I spoke with SFA Club President Bella Ly about the upcoming club event on Tues., May 20.

“We’re doing a special edition where, instead of shopping through racks of our usual clothes, customers will be able to shop the [SFA] officers’ closets! We thought it’d be a great way to get to know the officers more and offer different fashion choices that were available the past year,” Ly said.

In addition to the many thrifty shopping occasions (where most clothing is priced at under $5), the SFA offers networking opportunities, resume workshops, social events (such as mixers with the Sacramento State SFA), and the chance to be involved in the production of their annual spring charity fashion show.

Sophomore managerial economics major Bridget Mulcahy told me about her experience working with the SFA to plan this year’s show titled, “Silver Screen Style,” which benefited Saint John’s Program for Real Change.

“[It was the] highlight of my sophomore year. I worked with Cuffs Boutique in Sacramento to style a collection inspired by old Hollywood films. It turned out great, and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to be so involved in the show,” Mulcahy said.

Ly spoke about the inclusive nature of SFA meetings.

“You don’t necessarily have to live, breathe and sleep fashion to be in SFA; we try to be as inclusive as possible. We welcome anyone with any level of interest because we understand fashion is something so personal and subjective,” Ly said. “I’ve personally met some of the most interesting and fun people throughout my four years in the club.”

If you would like to get involved with the characters of SFA, visit their website SFA at UC Davis, or follow them on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

ALLISON REISS can be reached at arts@theaggie.org

Photos Courtesy of SFA.