Women’s Team of the Quarter: Golf

It is quite easy to quantify just how successful UC Davis women’s golf has been over the past year. Just look at Golfweek’s national women’s rankings, where the Aggies rank No. 20, and you can see a team that is competing with big guns like the University of Southern California, Arizona State University and UC Berkeley.

The Aggies have dominated during the spring season, landing in the top three of five of the six tournaments before the NCAA Regionals. UC Davis won the Big West Tournament, which they hosted, by 29 strokes while four of the five individual golfers were within the top five.

This team, which has won six straight Big West Championships, really separated itself during the NCAA Tournament. The Aggies fought their way to a fourth place finish in the Regionals, good enough to move on to the Finals. They found themselves as high as fifth in the Finals, making a cut after the third round before falling just six strokes short of making the top eight.

Individually, UC Davis has phenomenal golfers as well. Sophomore Paige Lee is currently ranked No. 40 in the country while junior Andrea Wong follows closely at No. 46. Two other Aggies, junior Betty Chen and senior Blair Lewis, are within the top 200.
UC Davis women’s golf is a powerhouse program at a school where that is not common. The Aggies did not even have a short course training facility until earlier this year and the team continually represents their University well. The Aggies have won six straight Big West Tournaments, made a name for themselves nationally, and are likely looking forward to another outstanding season with only two seniors leading the team. UC Davis women’s golf, for all of these reasons, are The Aggie’s Team of the Quarter.