Fun things to do in Sacramento: Davis’ big city sister

Sometimes you just want to escape Davis for a day

With so many new students crowding campus this year, chances are you might be looking for an escape from the masses for a weekend. Luckily, UC Davis is just a stone’s throw away from Sacramento, a seemingly underrated gem that is also our state’s capital. If you’re a first-year or don’t have access to your own car, there are still many different ways to get there.

One option is taking YoloBus. There are several routes that stop at various locations across Sacramento (including the airport and the downtown area), and rides are free for UC Davis undergraduates who show their AggieCard. You can hop on the Amtrak train and head to the Sacramento station. There are also options for carpooling, such as the UC Davis Ride Sharing Facebook group. There’s hitching a ride from a trusted friend who has a car, and if all else fails, you could always call an Uber.

Once you’ve secured a way to get there, be sure to check out some of the events below.

B Street Theatre

Supporting local theater is essential to keeping the arts scene thriving in a community. B Street Theatre, located at 2700 Capitol Ave in Sacramento, was originally created as a non-profit touring children’s company. They have since expanded to become a fixture of the Sacramento community, hosting a variety of live performances for audiences of all ages. 

From Sept. 15 to Oct. 24, the venue will be hosting “Dance Nation” by Clare Barron. This 2019 Pulitzer Prize finalist follows a group of competitive dancers as they experience the trials and competitive nature of young adulthood. The themes seem to line up with many of the experiences college students encounter, so take a study break and enjoy the show!

World’s Worst Expo

For those with an interest in fashion and a love of thrifting, the World’s Worst Expo is the perfect event. This vintage market is free for entry and features vendors selling vintage clothing finds, jewelry, food and more. Most are local businesses, so if supporting and shopping local is important to you, the World’s Worst Expo would be a great choice for your next weekend trip. This is a semi-regular event, so be sure to check their Instagram to find out when the next event will be taking place.

Midtown Farmers Market

The Davis Farmers Market is a cult favorite among the Davis community and for good reason: the weekly event features a sprawling set of vendors selling everything from avocado toast to local apple juice (a must-try Davis staple). However, if you’re looking to shake things up and see some new scenery while you make your weekly produce run, head over to the Midtown Farmers Market in Sacramento. Taking place on 20th street every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Midtown Association describes the event as “a lively and fun gathering place where Sacramentans can come together to shop and enjoy the community with neighbors and visitors alike.” The market showcases a variety of local vendors and promises to be a fun switch up from your weekly trip to the beloved “farmar.”  

Written by: Clara Fischer — arts@theaggie.org