Sunday, September 29, 2024

City of Davis and Yolo County officials meet to address mutual interests and community concerns

Regular 2×2 committee meetings foster collaboration on public services community project and encourage public input

Two members of the Davis City Council and two representatives from the Yolo County Board of Supervisors recently gathered in an ongoing effort to discuss shared issues affecting both the town of Davis and Yolo County. Known as the City-Yolo County 2×2 committee, this regular meeting focuses on exchanging information rather than making formal decisions for the entities represented. 

Officials discussed key developments, including the success of the Yolo County Fair, which drew nearly 100,000 attendees, and future plans to enhance the fairground and strengthen partnerships for emergency services. The boards also addressed the rising homelessness concerns, with updated data showing an increase across the county and the need for better coordination between city and county services, especially as state agencies clear encampments. 

The Pacifico housing project resumed after finding a code workaround, with plans to convert buildings into dormitories and independent living units by July 2025. Additionally, enhancements such as more electric vehicle (EV) charging stations and energy-efficient components were considered. The board also supported including students in housing discussions and highlighted Measure T on the November ballot to address library operating costs.

This collaboration has existed for some time, and meetings typically occur every other month. The primary objective is to foster communication between the two jurisdictions to help both parties remain aligned on issues that impact the region. From smaller topics like logistical assistance at community events to greater collaborative efforts such as public library projects and shared services, the goal of these meetings is to ensure smooth, open communication and effective problem-solving.

“We’ve built a strong working relationship with each other over the years,” Jenny Tan, the community director for the city of Davis, said. “This is a time for us to discuss items of mutual interest or concern, share resources and ensure that we are responding to the needs of our community effectively.”

The meeting serves as a platform for both entities to bring up matters of local importance, assess potential challenges and explore solutions that would benefit both the city and county. However, this committee does not have decision-making authority. Instead, its function is to facilitate dialogue and information sharing, leaving official decisions to the full city council or board of supervisors. 

During the meeting, one of the key discussion points was how the city and county collaborate on both minor and significant issues. A prime example mentioned was the Walnut Park Library project, which stands as a testament to the successful collaboration between the city and county. Other initiatives discussed included public services and resources available to residents, particularly those that require coordination between the two governments.

The meeting also emphasized guaranteeing efficient public services for all residents and maximizing available resources. Both sides emphasized their commitment to community well-being, sharing insights and updates on relevant local projects.

Although no specific challenges were highlighted, officials stressed the importance of maintaining open lines of communication. 

“We’ve worked with each other for so long and across so many topics that cooperation comes naturally and easily,” Tan said, reinforcing that collaboration has become second nature for the two entities.

Public input remains a vital component of these discussions. Residents are encouraged to participate by either attending the meetings in person or submitting comments via email. During these sessions, public concerns are heard and reviewed. Depending on the issues, staff from either the city or the county may be invited to present on specific topics raised by the community.

“When we hear of things of particular interest to our community, we usually check in with each other,” Tan said. “We take concerns and input from our public seriously and try to incorporate them as much as possible.”

These meetings are designed to be transparent and open to the public, allowing residents to voice their opinions and for officials to respond. If a community issue requires further attention, it is typically escalated to relevant staff members, who then work to address the matter more comprehensively.

This ongoing collaboration between the city of Davis and Yolo County serves as a model for how local governments can work together to address shared issues while meaningfully engaging with the public.

For more information about City-Yolo County 2×2 meetings, visit the official city of Davis website.

Written by: Alma Culverwell city@theaggie.org