Best Buffet

1. UC Davis Dining Commons

2. Davis Sushi Buffet Japanese Restaurant
707 Second St.

3. Kathmandu Kitchen
234 G Street

Moving up from last year’s number two spot, the UC Davis Dining Commons was voted the best buffet in Davis.

“Freshmen are excited to see the number of choices,” said Kyle Peiper, the dining commons operations director for residents dining, who pointed out that freshmen often have to get adjusted and not eat too much.

The three dining commons on campus, located at the Segundo, Tercero and Cuarto residence areas, offer buffets for breakfast, lunch, dinner, “late night” and weekend brunch.

All students, whether dorm residents or off-campus residents, are welcome, as well as faculty, staff and even community members with no formal campus affiliation. Diners without prepaid meal plans can pay $8.75 for breakfast, $10 for lunch and $12.75 for dinner, with a 10 percent discount for purchases made with Aggie Cash.

Theme meals at the dining commons are especially popular. This year’s luau theme will be on March 8, and the annual Harry Potter Dinner, featuring foods based on the book and movie series, will be on April 24.

Dietitian Linda Adams works to create nutritious as well as environmentally sustainable menus.

“Typically, what’s good for us [to eat] is also good for the planet,” Adams said.

Guests with food sensitivities or allergies can indulge themselves in gluten free pizza, breads and cookies, as well as food in the gluten-free refrigerator. Other typical allergies are accommodated as well, with the dining commons attempting to provide at least one option for every meal, Adams said.

The Davis Sushi Buffet Japanese Restaurant placed second, with its lunch and dinner sushi and non-sushi buffets. Lunch is from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and dinner is from 5 to 9 p.m.

In third place is Kathmandu Kitchen, which offers its popular Chicken Makhani and Vegetable Korma dishes as part of its daily buffet from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

— Brian Riley